Modernize Old Saggy Outlets
Fact – Old saggy outlets are the worst!
A simple project to practice some skills. When my wife and I moved into our new home, it was already 29 years old and had been a rental for the previous 9 years. To say the least it was in need of some TLC and we couldn’t have been more excited.
I am not an electrician, so this is the obligatory statement about having a qualified electrician perform electrical work. Electrical is dangerous and only a qualified person should
There are just a few steps:
- Cut the power to the circuit
- Remove the faceplate and old outlet
- Cut or unscrew as needed
- Install new properly rated outlet
- Attach bare copper wire (ground) to grounding screw (typically green)
- Attach neutral wires (typically white) to hot terminal (typically silver)
- Attach hot wires (typically black) to hot terminal (typically brass)
- Install the outlet in the outlet box
- Install new faceplate
- Turn power back on and double check with outlet tester
I used pig tails and wire nuts to connect the outlet to the circuit, but you can also connect the wire directly to the outlet.
No more lose saggy outlets.